College Life Part 23: A Final Gesture by Greenbeans Disclaimers: If you have made it this far into my series without reading "Obligations," you're good. Now go do it because I'm not going to explain in a lot of detail how Haruka manages what she does in this one. If you've read "Obligations" than the ideas presented in this will be familiar. BTW: I *DO* (!) have Tim's permission to do this. Don't just go off copying his ideas or others 'cause that's rude. Comments, thoughts, complaints, compliments, ramblings, and flames are all accepted. But the latter two stand a serious chance of being printed out and turned into rat cage lining. All characters are property of their respective holders. I belong to myself, thank you, and have a nice day :) ***** Michiru moved about the house she shared with Haruka getting things ready to be shipped to Japan. Most of the furniture and appliances would be left for the next residents of the house. It saddened her that they would be leaving in two weeks, but they had indulged their own wants for long enough. It was time to go back. She had learned much here. Not really from her course work, but from her interactions with other people. She knew that Haruka felt the same way. A hand was placed on her shoulder with another along her waist. She smiled slightly at that. It had taken Haruka a while to get used to the touch of another person. Now she would initiate contact. She turned into Haruka's embrace so that she was facing the tall woman. "You seem so sad," Haruka said gently. "It's a sadness we share," Michiru leaned her head onto her shoulder. "That it is, but you know that we can't afford to become too attached to anything. The 30th century is a long time from now. Many things will come and go between now and then," she reasoned while holding her closer. "I know," she whispered. "The future is a long time from now. Why not live for today and let tomorrow come when it gets here?" Haruka laughed softly. Michiru lifted her head up, startled, to look her. Haruka smiled down at her and gently pressed her head back down. "In a hundred years from now we will probably laugh at ourselves for even having this conversation. But for today, I'm sad to see the dream fading away." ***** I was having lunch with Haruka and Michiru today. That wasn't as an unusual occurrence as it used to be. Soon, it will be a memory. While I do look forward to the summer, I know that I am going to miss them once they're gone. "What are your plans for the summer, Beans?" Michiru asked while eating daintily. "Well, I tried to get an internship with one of the major software companies, but didn't. So I'll probably go home to work in the electronics department at a store in the mall or something. With Andy going to Florida for the summer, I'll have a lot of time to kill." "Aren't there any more internship opportunities available? I'm sure there is a company out there that would like to have you," she encouraged. "Some companies are still doing interviews, but I don't qualify for any of them," I answered. Most everyone left wanted someone that had completed at least up to the junior level courses. I would be starting them next fall. "That's a shame," Haruka sympathized between bites of her salad. "It doesn't matter," I lied. It had crushed me when I'd been flat out refused by every company I'd applied to. I would just have to wait until next summer before I'd get an internship. ***** On their way home from the college Michiru spoke to Haruka. "I know what you are thinking, Haruka. Just because you were able to fix it so that no one noticed Minako-chan was missing while we raised her again is no reason to think you can arrange an internship for Beans." "I want to do it, Michiru. I know we can't allow ourselves to become attached, but we *do* have to make friends, don't we?" She smiled at Michiru. "We should repay her somehow and this would be a good way." "Are you sure that you don't want to do it just to bring her to Japan?" She started. "How did you know that?" Michiru smiled. "Silly, I know *you*. You would get her an internship in Japan so that everyone could meet her and we'd get to see her once in a while." "It's a lot cheaper to bring her to Japan than to bring everyone here. They all want to meet her, after all," she tried to defend her logic. Michiru smiled to herself. This was one of the reasons why she loved Haruka so much. Under her protective layer that she showed to the world at large, she was really a thoughtful person. Haruka was letting her feelings show by trying to bring their friend with them. Even though she was hiding it. "Let's see what we can do," Michiru said. ***** (a few days later) ***** "You'll never believe it Haruka, another company has come to the school looking for interns. Except, get this, they only want one that can speak Japanese. Do you realize how far that narrows the field?" Haruka kept a straight face. She knew exactly how far that narrowed the field, down to four people, and two already had internships. "I'm happy for you, Beans. Are you going to apply?" "With odds like that? Of course! The only thing is that the internship is in Japan. I'm not so sure about that," she said thoughtfully. "What? We spend a school year in *your* country, but you won't spend a summer in ours? I'm hurt!" She tried to look injured. "Haruka, you don't do 'innocent' very well," Beans said dryly. "Leave it to Michiru. But if I did go, I might get to see you guys. That'd be cool. I'm not sure where the company is exactly, but it's a small island." "Several islands, thank you," she growled to cover up her surprise at Beans' jump in logic. If she wasn't careful, she'd blow everything. The company they had selected was located not far from the Juban district. The idea of getting to see each other often was quite realistic. "Er, sorry. Well, I've got to go to Writing. See you tomorrow!" She waved at her then jogged off to class. ***** "So, scuttlebutt has it you and Michiru are going to be returning to Japan once this semester is over," Nicholas casually remarked during his latest basketball session with Haruka. Currently he had the ball and was just dribbling it around as he tried to fake his way past Haruka, who was guarding the net. "Scuttle-what?" Nicholas shrugged and slowed his dribbling. "Are the rumors true? Are you and Michiru leaving us?" For the sake of the conversation, Haruka decided to toy with him a little longer than usual. She made a feeble attempt to steal the ball from Nicholas, and he sidestepped it easily. "We'll be going home, yes," she said. "Michiru and I belong in Tokyo. We've had fun here and learned a lot, but we're both also ready to return home." Nicholas groaned and bounced the ball between his legs, catching it from behind with his other hand. "That's just unfair, Haruka! I was going to practice all summer long and beat you in the first one-on-one game of the Fall Semester! What do you say to that?" Haruka stole the ball from him, dribbled it to the three- point line and then made her shot. The ball went in without so much as touching the rim or the backboard. "I'm just saving you from another year of embarrassing losses," she said, grinning at him. "Or would you like to wear another dress?" Nicholas rolled his eyes as he jogged over to retrieve the ball. On days such as this, it was just as well that they were just shooting and not keeping track of the score. If that had been the case, it would have been Haruka winning by about 40 points. "Hey, just don't be surprised if one of these days I come back to haunt you in Tokyo," he said, passing the ball to Haruka. She allowed him the chance to jog up to a guarding position between her and the basket. "What are you going to do? Sweat all over my clothes?" "Ouch, that's harsh, Haruka!" Nicholas tried, and failed, to swat the ball from out of her hand. "That's so harsh!" Haruka pivoted and then sank another basket. "Not as harsh as that." ***** (two days later) ***** Michiru was preparing dinner for Haruka and herself in the kitchen when the phone rang. She stopped slicing some carrots to pick it up. "Really? I'm glad that it worked out so well. Please keep us informed," she hung up. Haruka came into the kitchen then from the garage. "Who was that?" She asked after stealing a carrot slice. "The company's representative," she answered, going back to her cooking. "He interviewed Beans today." "And?" Haruka prompted, leaning up against the counter, blocking her way. Michiru stopped to smiled at her. "And he called to thank us for recommending such a shining prospect. Usually they don't interview at this school, but he was very impressed. He's certain that if she continued to do well in school, she could have a job with them when she graduated and would probably be heading a development team in a few years." Haruka shared in her joy. They already knew that Beans was talented, they just need to help some people realize it. "Don't go throwing her on a plane yet, Haruka," she warned. "He just offered her an internship, she still hasn't accepted it yet. It's a big step to go to live in another country. Beans doesn't have the advantage of having someone to share the experience with like we do." "But," her protest died on her lips, "you're right. There's nothing more we can do. I hate not having control of a situation!" She kissed Haruka lightly on the cheek. She always saw the logic in things if you could get her to downshift for a minute. "Since you're in the way, I place you in charge of finishing the vegetables." "Hey, I have to finish--" Michiru placed a finger on Haruka's lips to silence her protest. "See what interfering gets you?" Haruka grinned wickedly. "Vegetable stir fry?" "Baka," Michiru hit her lightly with a disk towel. Haruka continued to grin as she turned to the sink to wash her hands before starting. ***** I sat at one of the tables in the cafeteria eating. Okay, so none of the food was making it to my mouth. I wasn't really hungry. I was thinking. I had been scared out of my wits at the interview. I almost had a heart attack when the representative from the NPC Corporation only spoke in Japanese. I had always been confident in my lingual skills, but this was probably the toughest test I'd ever faced. I'd worried about my performance all day after that. Later that night, the representative called. I expected the "Thanks for applying, try again next year" message that I'd become so familiar with. Instead, he offered me the internship. I just about passed out right there. The terms of the internship were just as unbelievable. They'd pay for my flight to and from Japan. They would provide room near where I'd be working and a stipend for board. On top of that, they would pay me a modest regular salary. While most companies were kind to their interns, this was outright generosity, plus. "Hi Beans," Haruka sat down at the table. She looked at my plate and then her own. We'd gotten the same thing for lunch. "The casserole didn't look that bad," she commented, seeing that I hadn't eaten mine even though it was one of my favorite dishes. "It's fine. I'm just not hungry," I assured. "Oh," she began to eat. "How did the interview go?" "Great. I was offered the internship," I said simply. "You don't sound enthused. I thought this was what you wanted." "It is what I wanted. But some things concern me," I told her about the terms they offered and how the excessive generosity made me uneasy. I also told her about having to leave my family. "As for their generosity. I'll have you know that most people in Japan are that way, but NPC Corporation is more so. They are known throughout the country for being very loyal to their employees." "Do you know where they are located?" I asked. "Yes, they are close to the Juban district. We live in the area," She grinned. "We can come by and pester you often." "Which I'm sure you would do no matter where in the country I ended up," I sniped back easily. "But what about my family?" "How long have you been at college? Two years? I'm sure they are used to not having you around. You can't live under your parents forever, Beans." "Do you ever miss your family?" She leaned back and sighed. "I have often wanted a hug from my daughter," she said softly. "Daughter?" I was shocked. I wouldn't think Haruka would ever allow herself to be touched by anyone but Michiru. "Michiru, Setsuna, and I have an adopted daughter, Hotaru. She's not Michiru's cousin as we told you," she smiled sheepishly at that, but I'd gotten used to their 'evasions' long before now. "She's probably grown a lot since we left." We sat thinking for several minutes. Neither of us eating our food. Just thinking. "You're not going to tell me to go, Haruka?" Her face softened from its usual gruff appearance. "No, Beans, I'm not. This is a decision that you have to make on your own." ***** (a couple of days later) ***** I though about it for a couple of more days. Everyone else I asked about it--Alex, Dan, Andy, Nicholas--told me that while it was my decision, they figured I'd be an idiot to turn it down. But I still wasn't sure myself. Finally, I decided that I was over analyzing the issue. I was going to do it. Opportunities like this didn't come along all that often and I needed to seize this one. I called the representative and told him of my decision. I would be leaving as soon as school got out. I then called Haruka to let her know. ***** "Just be sure to apply for an international drivers license." Haruka hung up the phone and laid back into Michiru's lap. They were spending the evening outside on the grass. The sky was clear tonight and the moon full. It bathed the entire yard in a soft white glow. "That was Beans. She's going," she said once she was comfortable again. "Really? I'm glad to hear that," Michiru stroked her fingers through Haruka's soft hair. "We're so self-indulgent," Haruka closed her eyes at her statement. It wasn't right for her to manipulate things just so she got what she wanted, but she had. "We are," Michiru agreed. "But I think that in this case it is a good thing because we want to share what we have with others." Haruka caught her hand and kissed it. "Perhaps, but I have missed Hime-chan, Setsuna, and everyone. I want to go back." "Soon, love, soon," Michiru looked up to the stars. In a few days she would be viewing the stars from their home in Tokyo. No matter where they were, they would always have the stars and each other. The thought comforted her. ***** (three days before leaving) ***** Andy was helping me with some of my packing in my dorm room, or at least he kept asking me if I really did in fact need to take so much with me. I argued that three months was a long time, so I had to be ready. Andy was going to be leaving a day before me, so while I could see him off, the next he could offer was an e-mail and a hand- written letter he'd try to sneak somewhere into my luggage before he had to go. "And here I thought I was the envy of everyone for getting that internship in Miami," he sighed. He set about taping up one of the boxes that was going to come to Tokyo with me, and then carefully wrote the return address on the top left corner. Since I could write the kanji and hiragana characters needed for the 'send to' address, I'd be tackling that later. "You really are lucky, Beans," he told me. "Most people would kill for the chance to have a virtually all-expenses-paid trip to a foreign country for a few months." "Yeah," I agreed, "But I'm still going to miss everyone here: Alex, and my family, and you." I looked right at Andy when I mentioned him. At least we had known for a month or so beforehand that we'd be doing the long-distance relationship over the summer. I wasn't about to spend three months in Miami without knowing where I'd stay, or if I'd be able to get a job. Though now that we were going to have an ocean standing between us, the fact that we were going to be separated for a bit was all the harder to avoid. Andy grinned and tousled my hair a bit. "Hey, that's what webcams are for. I'll be sure to send you two or three pictures of me a day." "Sort of like Child's Toy, with the 'Today's Sana-chan' photo session," I said, my expression brightening. Andy of course, not being an otaku, had no idea what I was talking about. "Um... yeah. I think." It was sort of sudden; we were just standing there laughing, and then we were hugging each other. I was sniffling and he was just holding me tightly. "You just don't forget to write to me and let me know how you're holding up," he said quietly. I nodded, feeling secure in his embrace. "I will." ***** Nicholas was waiting for Haruka in the gymnasium, idly bouncing his basketball on the free-throw line. He had yet to make any sort of shot. In fact he looked really distracted, as if he couldn't quite line up his aim. "Are you just going to stand there looking pretty, or are you going to make a shot?" Haruka poked at him. Nicholas grinned and shot. The ball bounced off the backboard then fell through the hoop. With great panache, Nicholas spun around and gave Haruka an elaborate bow. "Thank you, ladies and gentlemen, I'll be here all night." They both grinned. "So this is it, I guess," Nicholas said as he retrieved the ball. "I guess." "Last one-on-one battle between you and me." One of Haruka's eyebrows went up. "I'd hardly call what you've given me a battle." "Work with me here, Haruka!" Nicholas groaned, passing her the ball, "Work with me!" Haruka caught the ball and began bouncing it from one hand to the other. Nicholas, however, headed to the front row of the bleachers and was rummaging around for something next to his duffle bag. "I wanted to give you this," he said, "as a parting token." It was a basketball, not surprisingly. However, what caught Haruka off-guard were all the signatures scrawled on the basket- ball in black permanent marker. Near the manufacturer's label was written 'Intramural 5-on-5 B-Ball Tournament' and the year. The five players from both the Decompilers and the Paper Airplane Commandoes had signed the ball, many adding their own kudos and well-wishes to Haruka. Even Beans had signed it with 'At least someone can play this game'. "Something to remember your friends on this side of the world by," Nicholas said, the smile on his face as sincere as it could get. "A little sappy if not cliché, I know, but it's the thought that counts. I guess. At least, that's what they keep telling me." Haruka was torn between hugging him or elbowing him in the ribs. Although she'd never openly admit it, she was truly touched. Something like this would always remind them of the good times here with Beans and her strange array of friends. Of course, now they'd have to find space on one of their packing boxes for it. Haruka wondered if she should get Michiru to sign it. Then she saw that Michiru had in fact signed the basketball on the underside: 'To my love, from your biggest fan.' "That last one was hard to get without you noticing," Nicholas said. "I had to drive out to her college and snag her between classes just to get that. You and Michiru are glued at the hip sometimes, I swear." "Thank you," Haruka said to Nicholas. "Thank you very much." Nicholas warily stepped back, throwing cautious glanced around the gym. "You're not going to hug me right when Michiru happens to stroll in, are you? I don't think she'd let me live long enough to explain." "Don't worry," Haruka replied, setting her gift down on the bleachers, "I'd just tell her that you were trying to distract me, so you could actually win a game and restore some of your battered pride." "Oh, that makes me feel all better now," he said dryly. They faced off at the three-point line, with Nicholas in command of the basketball. "So where's Beans?" he asked. "I think she's packing." "Ah. Going to let me win since this is the last time I'll ever get to play against you?" A wolfish grin appeared on Haruka's face. "Not a chance. If anything, I'm going to make your crushing defeat all the more memorable." Nicholas groaned as Haruka not only stole the ball (yet again), but delivered an impressive slam dunk too. "Glad to be of service," he sighed, shaking his head. In the end, Haruka won, but not by much. She let Nicholas get close to her score; that was his memento. If anything, it would drive him nuts over the summer thinking he came that close to beating her, and just might have won a game next year if she hadn't left for Japan. ***** (the day before leaving) ***** "Thanks for helping me pack," I said to my roommates. They both were going to stay in the dorms during the summer term. It would be hot, quiet, and miserable, but they both wanted to get ahead in their majors. Summer was the only real way to do that. "Not a problem, Beans. I can't believe that you are actually going to Japan! You're coming back next fall, right?" Alex put some of my clothes into a bag. Most of my stuff would be staying here with them, rather than sending it home to my parents. "Of course! Someone has to keep you two out of trouble," I grinned at them. The RA in charge had agreed to let us keep the same room, and didn't mind that Jeff would be openly staying with Alex. I was going to give my room key to him tomorrow when I left. "Heh, you're the one that we're turning loose on Japan. They'll probably send you back after a week because of the trouble you cause," Jeff teased. "Possibly," I admitted. With Andy having flown to Miami earlier today, there was little else that could distract me from the fluttering in my stomach. I was now excited about the prospect of getting to live overseas for three months. It was going to be an adventure to finally get to submerge myself in the culture I had studied for years. "Thanks for keeping my fish for me while I'm gone. Remember, you don't need to clean out the tank." I'm lucky that they were going to stay to upkeep the lake god. I'd worried about that until they told me their plans for the summer. Jeff shook his head. "I still don't see how you kept the tank as well as you have without cleaning it." I shrugged, "It works." There was a knocking at the door. Alex stopped to let Haruka in. With the additional body and the mess of my packing, our room was suddenly quite cramped. "Hey Beans, I was wondering if I could talk with you for a moment?" Jeff stretched out. "Yep, I need a burger, how about you?" He looked to Alex. "Sounds good to me. Bye," they left the room to us. They were good, understanding roommates. I'd miss them. We'd already agreed to e-mail each other, and, if it was possible meet on IRC. Haruka grinned. "Actually, I needed to talk to the lake god, if you don't mind," she came up to the tank. It burbled a little at being so close to her. "Oh, I see how it works. I've been tossed aside for the lake god. Just wait 'til I tell Michiru that you're moonlighting," I teased. "Very funny." She called as I closed the door behind me. ***** (At the airport) ***** "Oh, God, this is it. I can't believe you're really leaving," Alex hugged me. She had been crying some. "I always leave during the summer," I pointed out. "I'm just going somewhere different, that's all." "I know," she wiped away her tears. "You behave yourself. We won't be able to post bond if you find yourself in jail." I smiled at that. "I don't expect that I'll find myself in the pokey. Besides, Haruka and Michiru will be there. They tell me that they live pretty close to where I'll be, so they can keep and eye on me." "They already promised me that they would," Alex said. For some reason, it didn't surprise me that she talked them into babysitting me. I don't think she needed to go to the effort; they would have anyways. I handed my key ring over to Jeff. "Here's the room key and the keys to my car." "Any gas?" He asked slyly. "Yes," I hit him lightly on the shoulder. "Cross town is fine, but not across the country. Got that?" "Maybe I'll get that pile of bolts actually running well while you're gone," he scratched the back of his head innocently. My car wasn't the best in the world, but it ran. Plus this was all coming from a man who doesn't even own a car, so I never take his jibes too seriously. Nicholas was standing offside, grinning like an idiot at me. "Look at you, all grown up and leaving us," he said with a mock sniffle. "I'm so proud of my little girl!" "You are so not getting a postcard from me," I said, right before Nicholas gave me a quick hug and said, "Take care of yourself, Beans. You keep Haruka in line for me while you're there, okay?" Over the PA the flight I was leaving on was announced for boarding. "That's my flight," I said while trying to hold back my excitement. Alex might take it wrong if I ran to the plane and hopped aboard. Haruka and Michiru had left early this morning. They had promised to track me down once they got back. They said that they had several friends who were anxious to meet me. Having someone waiting for me when I arrived made me feel better about going. My roommates walked me to the gate. Both hugged me and promised to write. Nicholas assured me he would stay out of trouble, and keep a cold Pepsi waiting for my return. I waved to them as I left. This was the beginning of my next adventure. ***** (Back at the dorms) ***** "What are you all doing?" Alex asked the maintenance personnel who were taking measurements in the lobby of the dorms. "You know how we've been trying to raise money to network the dorms, right? Well, a company gave us a grant that would more than cover the expense," he said. While it gave him a lot of work to do over the summer, it was also long overdue. The students wanted and needed to be able to network. "But what does networking the dorms have to do with this?" Jeff asked, pointing out all the equipment in the lobby. "Ya know, that's the funny part of it. The grant came with a condition. For us to get the money, we had to remodel the lobby with twin fish tanks that will be inset in the walls. They're going to be a meter wide and tall and run the entire length of the lobby. "What's really strange is that we have to fill them with that cruddy muck from Moore's Lake. We've also been told what fish to put in them and how many. Plus, get this, we're NOT supposed to clean them! Some how these huge tanks are going to clean themselves. Isn't that a riot!" he laughed at the very idea. "But hey, if that's what it takes, I'll do it," he rejoined the group he had been working with. "Isn't that odd?" Alex asked Jeff on the way up to their room. "Must be something special about fish tanks here in the dorms that actually hold fish," he commented. The lake god was thrilled with its future accommodations. ***** It was evening when I arrived in Tokyo. The city lights were an amazing sight to a girl that was born and raised in the country. Life in a big city should be interesting. At the airport, a man that I didn't recognize held up a sign with 'Beans' written on it. "Good evening!" I greeted in Japanese. "Hello," he replied in shaky English. He continued in Japanese. "I am to take you to your apartment." "Sounds good to me," I said. And soon I was on a ride through the streets of Tokyo. He didn't talk much, except to say that the company was excited to have me joining them. He hoped that we would mutually learn from our experiences. We drove into a huge parking garage. It was the base of an even larger building that had to be at least 20 stories tall. I'd never seen a building this huge in my life. What shocked me was that it was dwarfed by most of the buildings surrounding it. Between us, we carried all of my things to the elevator. Some of my stuff was going to be shipped over here during the next week or so. "Your apartment is on the 24th floor," he told me. I had guessed wrong. This building had 35 floors. Aye! The elevator opened up to a short hallway that only had five doors leading off of it. Two in each direction on either side of the elevator. The one next to the elevator I'd assume was the stairs. He led me to the nor'east door. Setting my bags on the floor, he handed me a key. "This is as far as I go." he turned around and went into the still open elevator. I puzzled briefly over his leaving, shrugged, and unlocked the door. Bright lights stunned me along with several shouts. "What the--" I gasped. The room was filled with people I didn't know. "Everyone be quiet!" A familiar voice rang above the crowd. I got a chance to look around. I spotted Haruka behind the kitchen counter and Michiru sitting on a couch next to Setsuna. And there was Makoto. The rest of these must be their friends. I threw my bags inside the door and slipped my shoes off quickly before entering into the thick of things. "Good evening!" I greeted in general. "I'm Beans, you all must be Haruka and Michiru's friends." "You guessed it," Haruka said from the kitchen nook. She had two bottles of something on the counter and several glasses. "Let me introduce everyone," Michiru said while Haruka continued to pour. "The gentleman over there is Mamoru-san." He appeared to be older than everyone else present. Maybe not Setsuna. But boy was he handsome! The girl next to him had a possessive look about her. Too bad.... "Next to him is Usagi-chan." The girl--yes, a girl--had these odd ball things made with her hair on her head. I didn't know that you could defy physics that way. "Odango atama," Haruka called from the kitchen. "Dumpling head?" I asked in English. She grinned wickedly. At least I wasn't the only one she teased. "The three on the couch over there are Ami-chan, Minako-chan, and Rei-chan," she continued. I looked at Ami a little funny. I didn't know that odd hair colors were the norm over here. At least they didn't tell us that in class. In her lap was a blonde-hair child with a million dollar smile. Rei sat next to them. She had startling raven black hair. She seemed to have a total attitude of calm around her. "And you know Mako-chan against the wall over there." Makoto gave me a small wave in greeting. "Setsuna-san," she gestured to the dark green haired woman sitting next to her. She smiled kindly and nodded. "And this," Michiru hugged the girl on her lap, "is Hotaru-chan." She was too cute. I mean, there was no other way to describe her. She had shoulder length dark purple hair and wide eyes that thirst to know about everything around her. She crawled out of Michiru's lap and came running up to me. "Nice to meet you," she said slowly in English, then stuck her hand out to shake. I took hold and shook. "It is a pleasure to meet you," I looked up to everyone. "All of you. I would have never expected such a warm greeting." Hotaru ran over to Haruka and hugged her waist. "Well done, Hime-chan," Haruka said while patting the girl on the head. "Shall we have a toast to our new friend?" Haruka asked. Everyone came over to the counter and took a glass except for the Usagi girl, who spilled hers. Michiru cleaned it up quickly while Haruka poured her another glass. Rei made some quip about how she would never grow out of her clumsiness. Usagi was about to protest, but Mamoru put his hand on her shoulder. "Welcome to Japan!" Everyone toasted and drank. I think the two bottles were one of cider and one of white wine. To me, the two looked the same, but whatever Haruka had handed me definitely wasn't cider. I don't think she would give Hotaru wine. I pulled Haruka aside for a moment once the festivities were underway. "Tomorrow, tell me how you got in here," I said. She looked innocent, then smiled impudently. "Tomorrow, I'll tell you how you got here." ***** (End part 24: The end) ***** [Rolling credits: BGM "Talent for Love" (Chisa, Chisa!) SD Beans, Haruka, and Michiru walk onto screen] Well that's it! [Haruka nudges Beans when she gets too close to Michiru] I'd like to do a big thank you to those that have written me. Your support has made this project all worth it! I'd also like to thank Tim Nolan for his support, encouragement, ideas, and allowing me to bounce off his series. Thanks a lot Sempai! [Beans takes offense and yells at Haruka. Lots of misc hiragana on screen] Special thanks to Naoko Takeuchi for creating a series that leaves a lot of room for exploration. [Michiru tries, and fails, to pull them apart. They separate and are in opposite corners of the screen with Michiru in the center] Also: * My roommates for enduring my late night typing sessions. [SD pics of Alex and Jeff flash on screen] * Aimee-chan for believing that I really *can* write. [SD Andy flashes next] * Blitz Kreig for giving me your support, not matter what the project was. [SD of Beans' family, with tractor in the background] * His lordship Chaos for being an all-too-willing victim. [Fish tank with happy murky water] * NefCanuck for your support and kind words. [Beans sticks her tongue out at Haruka] * Darkwind for your non-support and unkind words. No, I have not banged my head up against a wall yet.... *BIG GRIN* [Haruka stands off with pissed look on her face] * Jackie Chiang for being my fearless proofreader, corrector of my many errors, partner in crime, imouto, and instigator of countless hours of nipping at each other. It's been fun! [Michiru sighs and boxes both their ears] * Lord Charon for pushing me when I didn't want to move. I can be as stubborn as a mule when I want to be, but that never discouraged you. [Beans and Haruka give water works worthy of Usagi] * A Sailor Moon Romance for posting this drawn out series. It makes me feel good to share my stories with others. Thanks! [Michiru puts her arms around both of them and they stop crying] Arigato minna! [They all do GQ poses with Beans holding up a sign that says: "Bye bye!"] Programs used in producing "College Life": Windows 95/98/XP (Gack!) maplay 1.2+ Notepad WinPlay 3 Programmer's File Editor CD Player Texto'LE Desktop Toys (Yea!) Netscape Navigator Eudora Microsoft Word 97/2000/XP WinAmp Internet Explorer Editsu [(For you AMG fans :) Haruka chasing Beans around the college campus with disk gun drawn. Michiru sighing at their immaturity] "Sponsors": Circle K (for *way* too much Pepsi) David Sunflower Seeds (I have a 3 gallon bucket of them ;) Burger King Random House American Dictionary Random House Japanese Dictionary Random House Bad Spellers Dictionary (Didn't help, did it Jackie? ;) Random House Thesaurus (Where do you think I got the big words from?) [His lordship Chaos suddenly appears, the lake god's fishtank hoisted over his head. Beans & Haruka give chase as he tries to steal the lake god. Fade out with Chaos receiving a disk to the head.]