College Life Part 20: Haruka's Rival by Greenbeans Mild cursing. Comments, thoughts, complaints compliments, ramblings, and flames are all accepted. But the latter two stand a serious chance of being printed out and turned into paper hats. All characters are property of their respective holders. I belong to myself, thank you and have a nice day :) ********** Thursday afternoon, early February ********** It would be a gross understatement to call college life boring; there was always something to catch your attention, or distract you from that 20 page essay you really should have started two weeks ago. Especially if said paper is due in 12 hours, and all you've got to run on are leftover books from the library (the good ones having already been picked clean by other students) and a 24 pack of Jolt cola. But Haruka didn't have to worry about a paper. She didn't have to worry about any of her classes for that matter. Granted she had homework due in all of them, but she was ahead enough in her studies that she could afford some time to just wander the campus between classes. She would have preferred to drive, but there was still snow all over the place. "It's like being in Sapporo," she murmured to herself. That didn't make for the best driving conditions, and she knew Michiru would scold her for being so reckless. Not to mention Haruka wasn't about to abuse her precious vehicle in this kind of weather any more than she absolutely had to. Which meant she was relegated to wandering around the various buildings. Haruka was quickly discovering that if she didn't have a project to concentrate on, she had very little else to do in terms of options. There were no clubs she had signed up with, so there was no one to track down and shoot the breeze with. Likewise she was walking around by herself, and wasn't exactly desiring to strike up a conversation with a gaijin stranger. [translation note: gaijin means foreigner] Venturing outside and braving the cold for a few minutes, Haruka wandered over to one of the other facilities. Namely the athletics building. The library had proven to be unnervingly quiet, and Haruka felt that if she had sneezed everyone's heads would explode from the shock of hearing actual noise. Likewise there was nothing at the Student Union that was able to hold her attention. A trio of F-1 Racing games had been set up, but there was no one around for her to play against. Haruka had found herself getting nostalgic in seeing the faces Minako made whenever the blonde girl got her clock cleaned in the "grudge" matches they always held. 'Maybe that's what is making me so restless,' Haruka thought to herself. 'I'm getting homesick.' It was an odd thing to consider, but as Haruka thought about it a little more, this did make sense. She was starting to miss the sights and sounds of Tokyo, and especially all the friends they had left behind. What was their Hotaru-chan doing now? Well... Hotaru was probably sleeping, given the difference in time zones. Email and telephone conversations were always able to bridge the gap, and thankfully they had never needed to worry about the long distance costs. But even just a voice or a picture can't stack up against the real thing. For now, Haruka looked forward to the Spring Break, when she and Michiru would have a week to escape and be back with old friends in Tokyo. The only problem was keeping herself calmed down between then and now. 'With any luck, something here should grab my attention for the next hour,' Haruka thought as she walked down one of the halls. In one of the gymnasiums, a group of guys were playing some casual 4-on-4 basketball. At least Haruka assumed it was casual, given how they were wearing sweat shorts (or sweatpants) and T-shirts. However they were playing like the fate of the planet depended upon the outcome of their game. Sneakers squeaking against hardwood echoed across the gym, broken sporadically by loud shouts of "I'm open!" or "Shoot it!" The players were only using one hoop, and the three-point line looked to be their makeshift half-court. Someone from the other team got a hold of the ball, they crossed over the 3-point line and then turned right back around as if it were now on their side of the court. Haruka glanced around and saw barely anyone else in the gym. A few were watching the game. Others in clusters of two or three were on the bleachers doing what was probably an assignment. This looked to be a dead hour; obviously these guys were taking advantage of that fact. With a sigh, Haruka ventured over to the wall and put her back against it. This wasn't her idea of entertainment, but it would do for a while anyways. Ten minutes of sweat and dribbling passed without any real sign of the players tiring. They continued relentlessly in their plays and their shots. And then, from what Haruka could tell, there was a tangle of players beneath the hoop. Someone had gone up for a slam dunk (probably showing off, she thought), and collided with a guard. The basketball harmlessly bounced into a roll somewhere behind the hoop. One of the guys quickly scooped it up before inspecting the aftermath of the mid-air collision. In total, three guys had gone down, sprawling out on the floor in a mess of legs and arms. However, only two immediately got up and dusted themselves off. The third guy, who had tried to out-jump the shooter, was wincing in pain and carefully probing the muscles and tendons of his ankle with his fingers. "Damn, I think I twisted something." He flashed the others a tough-guy grin. "What? I'll be fine. I might limp for a few days, but I'll be good enough in no time. I can still play." The captain of one of the foursomes shook his head as he appraised the injury. "The last thing I want is a pulled ligament from you," he stated. "It looks like just a sprain, but I don't exactly want you making it worse. You can sit out and hobble around after. If you want, I'll take you to the campus doctor and have it checked out." The captain scratched his head of jet black hair as he watched his comrade get helped over to the front row of the bleachers. "Well now the playing field's uneven," a teammate of his remarked. "Three against four." Another chuckled, "Nothing like a challenge, eh?" The captain scanned the basketball court for someone else. He spotted what he thought was a tall guy with blondish hair milling around on the sidelines, watching the game in mild interest. "Hey!" he called out, nodding in the guy's direction. The 'guy' looked at him with an almost amused and defiant stare. He launched the basketball in Haruka's direction, and the blonde caught it with ease. "You play?" Haruka shrugged and strolled onto the court, dribbling the ball. She had her sports bra on, so that wouldn't be a problem. And her clothes were as close to casual as she could get with Michiru patrolling her wardrobe; it wouldn't be that bad if she got a little sweat on them. "I play a little," she replied. "We play a lot," the captain replied simply. "We may not be on the college team, but that doesn't stop us. Mind if we give your skills a test run?" He thumbed over his shoulder to the opposing team. "We've got fifty bucks worth of pizza riding on this match. I for one would like them treating me to dinner tonight!" He crouched down slightly, his eyes locking with Haruka's. There was no mistaking the challenge he was giving her: he wanted her to try and get around him, and then score. Not sure whether she should be amused or insulted, Haruka decided to oblige him. She bent her knees and dribbled the ball a few times in her left hand. Suddenly she switched to her right and then charged towards the man with a burst of speed. He was visibly surprised by her momentum, but still reached forward to slap the ball out of her possession. Haruka easily bounced the ball between his legs and ducked around him, effortlessly going back to dribbling the ball before making a lay-up and an easy 2 points. "Do I pass?" she asked with a wicked grin, enjoying the surprised looks on everyone's faces. The captain took a few steps towards her, trying to catch his breath. "You're good," he said. "You're damn good!" His eyes darted down Haruka's chest, and took abrupt notice to some shapely features he hadn't quite noticed before. But now the sweat on her shirt was certainly making one thing apparent. "You're a girl," he said, blinking a few times in surprise. "And?" His eyes glanced back down at her chest, and then back up to her stern gaze. "I was just beaten by a girl?" "Yeah?" Haruka inquired, her eyes narrowing. Shimatta, was this guy going to get all defensive about his male pride? He suddenly laughed and straightened up, pushing back his mop of sweat-drenched hair. "Are you available?" he asked with an optimistic smile. That was the last thing Haruka had expected to hear. ***** I yawned as I strolled out from my humanities class, ruing the fact that I really could have spent that last hour doing something more productive with my time (like sleep). "Aw, did that last lecture tucker poor Mame-chan out?" came a playfully chiding voice. And in Japanese, no less. Not really having the energy or desire, I kept my conversation in English. "No," I sighed, turning around and nodding to Michiru. "Just bored stiff and in need of a nap. So, what brings you here?" Michiru was dressed in a stylish ski vest pulled over a warm turtleneck and clutching a small bag at her side. I could only presume it held whatever books she'd just had from her most recent classes. "My private lessons for the afternoon were cancelled because the professor is ill," she replied. "I wanted to surprise Haruka before she goes to her next class and tell her that she doesn't have drive out to the college to pick me up." We both wandered down to the building where I knew Haruka would be having her next class. "I don't have another class now," I volunteered. "I could keep you company until Haruka finishes up and takes you both home." "That's sweet of you. Thank you," Michiru smiled. I knew Haruka well enough to know that in such weather, she'd be wandering about indoors due to all the snow outside. The first place we checked was the student lounge adjacent to the building lobby. Sure enough we found Haruka there--as well as someone else unexpected. "Nicholas?" I asked, unable to fully contain my surprise. Michiru looked from Nicholas and Haruka, and then back to me. "Do you know him?" I nodded. "He's an Electronics major. I've had a few classes with him." Michiru nodded as she listened, and then drawled, "Then perhaps you could explain what he and Haruka are up to." As it turned out, Nicholas was busy arm-wrestling Haruka, and it was a near miracle that she was indulging the guy. 'Of course,' I reflected, 'the maniacally ridiculous expression his face certainly made the challenge worth it.' Currently Haruka was holding him at bay, and she looked casual about the whole deal. Nicholas on the other hand was sweating, clenching his jaws and turning purple from holding in his breath. Not to mention he was also using both his hands in an attempt to push hers down by placing as much of his weight as he could on it. Sighing from what sounded to be boredom, Haruka turned and saw us. "Michiru!" she called out happily, instantly slamming Nicholas' hands onto the table. "What are you doing here?" Nicholas' eyes bugged out immensely as the back of his left hand was smashed against the table. He made an exaggerated face showing just how much pain he was in, but let out little more than a squeak. "Are you okay?" I asked him. Nicholas gingerly lifted up one hand with the other. "She killed it," he sniffled, feigning hurt. "Baka," I replied, purely out of reflex and before he got a chance to ask me to kiss it better. He gave me a confused expression, but it was just as well for his wounded pride that I didn't tell him what it meant. "Who's your new friend?" Michiru asked Haruka in Japanese, as they embraced. Replying in the like, Haruka delivered a wicked grin and replied, "God's gift to idiots." Switching back to English she asked, "What are you doing here? I'm just about to go to my class." Michiru explained about her professor's illness, then she and Haruka made quick plans on where and when to meet after Haruka's class. That settled, the two exited the lounge with me in tow. "I'll be seeing you on the courts again, right?" Nicholas called out as we left. I could only presume it was to Haruka, as I had no basketball skills whatsoever. ***** "So who is this Nicholas anyways?" Michiru asked me once we were on our own again. I shrugged as I leaned back in my chair. We had returned to the student lounge in hopes of finding some peace and quiet away from all the other bustling students. "It's his third year here," I explained. "He's on a science scholarship, but he's also very good at basketball. Plays it with anyone interested if he has the free time. Every year there's an intramural five-on-five tournament that's entered by all the major departments, and he's always been the Electronics department team's captain." "Do they always win?" Michiru asked. I shook my head. "They usually come second or third, but he's just in it for love of the game. An adrenaline rush of a hobby, I guess." Michiru leaned forward and gave me a careful appraisal. "What are you smiling at?" I couldn't wipe off what must have been a catty grin on my face. "He usually doesn't talk much to girls. But Haruka beat him at basketball, and now he's quite interactive." I laughed at the notion. "That was his way of challenging her to a one-on-one rematch. Nothing overly serious, but he still wants to beat her." A curious smile crept across Michiru's face. "So Haruka has a rival, does she?" ***** "C'mon, Beans, you're an organized person!" John scowled at me. "Have you seen my closet lately?" I retorted. It had come time to plan for the not-yet-traditional Spring Break beach cookout. Personally, I wanted to spend the break catching up on my sleep, but John had other plans... I shrugged. "You don't need me to help you organize things." "No, but I do need you to get us a spot at the beach before the jocks claim it all," he tapped the end of his pencil on his clipboard. "You just love me for my car," I grumbled good-naturedly. Having my own wheels often got me volunteered to shuttle people around or act as our scout. "That and your charming wit," he grinned. I shook my head with resignation. "Flatterer. Fine, fine, I'll go stake us out a spot. Want me to go for the one we got last year?" "That would be great! Thanks, Beans." Having accomplished his mission, he gave me a jaunty wave and left. Ah well, at least I knew how I'd be spending part of my Spring Break now. ***** About a week and a half before Spring Break ***** I glanced down at my wristwatch and absently wondered what was taking Haruka so long to join Michiru and me in the coffee shop. As of late, Haruka had been spending these cold, snowy days indoors. But what had taken me by surprise was that she more or less stayed to the gymnasiums if she could get away with it. And since it was Haruka, she got away with it on a regular basis. Michiru sat across from me in the booth, cradling a cup of tea in her delicate hands. Even though it was freezing outside (I felt like changing the lyrics of that one Christmas carol to 'Jack Frost ripping off your nose.' Stupid wind chill factor.), I wasn't a fan of hot drinks. They had a tendency to scald my tongue. I'd lose my sense of taste for a few days until my poor taste buds recovered. As a result, I went with just a Pepsi. Michiru chuckled over my order. "You are certainly a curious individual," she said with a trace of amusement in her voice. "Hey, I like what I like," I defended myself. This was not the time to further lose face by drinking my Pepsi with a straw. If Haruka were here she'd already be teasing me to no end and forcing me to sharpen my wits a little more. Speaking of Haruka.... "Haruka seems a little late," I remarked, taking yet another glance at my watch. Michiru and I had sat down fifteen minutes ago and nothing indicated that Haruka would be here soon. "Oh, she won't be joining us," Michiru said simply before taking a sip of her tea. "She's with Nicholas right now." I could feel the warning bells going off in the back of my head. Haruka had wound up in the proverbial doghouse once already, when she had spent more time with James working on motorcycles than with Michiru. Was it happening all over again with Nicholas? Would Michiru be as forgiving the second time around? Would I be able to take the stress of being in the middle, for that matter? Michiru must have noticed the worried look on my face no matter how casual I tried to appear, and flashed me a knowing smile. "It's not what you think," she drawled. "Nicholas only plays against her when they both can afford the time--and that usually happens during the day when I'm at classes anyways." "Have you been keeping Haruka on a short leash?" I hazarded to ask. Michiru shook her head when she heard the question. "Not really. Sometimes a mistake made once can work to your advantage; Haruka's become somewhat paranoid of overlooking me since that time, so she's very careful what else she schedules in to our days." With an audible sigh of relief, I slumped back in my half of the booth. "I'm just impressed Nick is alive in the first place," I remarked. "It boggles me to think that she's entertained him this long. Haruka doesn't strike me as the type to string someone along just for the fun of it." Michiru didn't say anything. I've never had a rival before, not unless my brother counts. I wondered what it was like, and whether or not it was a good sort of rivalry between the two. "How's Haruka taking it?" I had to ask. Michiru stared into her coffee. "Surprisingly well, actually." "Does she even consider him a rival?" "That's what I meant by 'surprisingly well'." Michiru looked up from her reflection in the tea. "However, we didn't come here to talk about Haruka. I asked you here to talk about you." I blinked in surprise. "Me?" Michiru thoughtfully regarded me before nodding. "Where do you see yourself in the future?" "Ah..." I scratched the back of my head nervously. "Well, after I graduate I'll go to work for some company I assume..." Her expression didn't change. "And what about you and Andy?" Again, I was at a loss. He was a nice enough guy and all, but I didn't know where things would lead. "I'm just kinda going with the flow, y'know?" I answered truthfully. A small, knowing smile crossed her face. "You don't have a clue, do you?" I looked down at the table. "You're right," I admitted. Her hand crossed the table to rest atop mine. "It's a subject that you should give some serious thought to. You've wasted too many days already with idle indecision. Decide where your dreams are and chase them!" My eyes met hers when I looked up again. She had such a gentle expression on her face, it was as if she glowed. I didn't spend much time wondering what brought this up all of a sudden. No, she had a point. I did need to think more about the future and what I intended to do with myself once I was out of college. I couldn't drift through life forever. ****** "And I win again," Haruka stated, not even bothering to hide the broad grin on her face as she spun the basketball on the tip of her index finger. "If it wasn't for the fact that I think my lungs are going to burst any second," Nicholas panted as he bent over, gasping for air, "I would grab that ball to make you stop gloating." "Oh?" Haruka retorted. "And who's the one who challenged me to this match?" There were a few others playing in the gym, but nothing serious. A group of basketball players had claimed a hoop of their own on the other side of the court, and some female students (cheerleaders, most likely) were practicing their tumbling routine at center court. It was good to actually work up a sweat these days. She felt alive with her blood racing and her body almost as light as a feather. A few times she had to catch herself from moving almost a little too fast and make Nicholas suspicious of her speed and grace. Nicholas finally conceded defeat, collapsing to the floor and letting out a loud, exhausted sigh. "Okay, you win," he panted. "But next time--" "--we'll see who's laughing," Haruka finished off the guy's running motto ever since they'd first started to meet for their one-on-one matches. Nicholas was more of a way to pass the time--not that he didn't give her a run for her money. There was nothing serious between them except for trying to push the other in terms of skill and stamina. At least it had better be nothing more than that. Haruka idly wondered what Michiru would do in such as case, as she made her way to the ladies' locker room. She could shower once she got home. Maybe invite Michiru to join her too. "So when do I get to try to salvage the last lingering shreds of my dignity?" Nicholas called out after her, abruptly sitting up as if he'd regained a second wind. Haruka waved nonchalantly. "Probably on Friday afternoon." Nicholas grinned as he picked himself off the hardwood floor, and bounced the basketball a few times. "I'll hold you to that," he stated. ****** Michiru drove me back to the campus after our conversation and picked up Haruka in front of the dorms. "Nick managed to tire you out?" I inquired in passing. Haruka's grin went wolfish. That meant a retort I wouldn't be able to one-up was coming. "Oh, I'm sure Michiru will find a way to revitalize me once we're home." Unable to contain my laughter at her brazenness, I gave her a playful punch in the shoulder and then waved again to Michiru. She waved back as she slid into the passenger seat and allowed Haruka to take command of the wheel. My thoughts went back to our talk in the coffee shop. At the very least I could poke around online and see what kind of jobs were out there. Maybe there was something that would catch my attention. Thinking about work was easier than thinking about other things, like Andy. Settling down into a housewife type role had never appealed to me. I didn't even know what form my future family might take. Could I even see myself pregnant? Gyah! That was definitely wasn't something that I wanted to think about. I plopped myself down in front of Yggy and pulled up a job search engine. I'd barely gotten started when my concentration was broken. "Knock knock!" someone said as they rapped on my door. I turned around and saw Nicholas venturing to poke his head inside. "It safe for me to enter the hallowed halls of the Bean goddess? Or are your hours from nine to five like everyone else?" I rolled my eyes. "Come in, Nick." "What, that's it?" he lamented, trying to give me his best angelic/puppydog look. "No 'Nick, so glad to see you!' No offering of candy? No kiss?" "You want to become aquarium fodder?" I retorted scathingly. He knew full well Andy and I were an item, even if it didn't seem to stop his harmless flirting. Though Nicholas didn't notice, the fish tank burbled in what I think was insult at having to sample him. And Nicholas being completely oblivious to the true implications of that remark just laughed. "You're getting better at your comebacks," he said. "I've had a good teacher," I replied. Namely, Haruka. Much to my surprise, the first thing he did was set a can of cold Pepsi down on my desk. "A peace offering," he said. "You mean a bribe, don't you?" "Well... the words are interchangeable, yes," he admitted. He was trying to be casual, but I could tell he had a specific reason for coming. I wasn't exactly sure what it was, but it probably had something do with Haruka. Maybe getting me to deliver the latest notice of challenge. Electronics majors usually had this bizarre sense of humor. Of course, the 'geeks' like me tended to run on the same wavelengths, so it kind of evened out in the end. "You seem good friends with Haruka, Beans," he said. I nodded as I started to drink back my Pepsi. "So then, you should know better than anyone: are Haruka and Michiru an item?" And with that I promptly choked on the soda. "What?" I sputtered, coughing on my drink. "I'll take that as a 'yes'," Nicholas sighed. "Damn, and Haruka was cute too... in a tomboy sort of way." He saw the look on my face and tried to defend himself. "Hey, I just wanted to know where I stood with her before I accidentally got my face punched in. Haruka's always shot down any of my offers to go out, even for coffee. But she's never outright said she's taken--though I've seen her walking around with Michiru a few times. I just want to make sure of any official thing between them." I took a few moments to study his expression. He seemed pretty sincere about just keeping whatever he and Haruka had a platonic thing. For the sake of his currently intact body, I hoped so. "You've got more brains than one would be lead to believe," I told him. At least he knew when to keep back and just plain back down. Michiru might have let him get away with it for a little while, but I wasn't sure how Haruka would react. At least Nicholas wasn't going after Michiru; that would have guaranteed the rivalry going very sour. Nicholas claimed the seat on the bed for himself, arms folded across his chest. "And here I thought I got all those A's and B's in my courses because of my charming personality," he quipped. "Be serious," I chided him. "Look, I like what she brings to the match," he told me. "Haruka has... I don't really know how to describe it. She has this vibrancy that I can feel whenever I play against her. It's this raw power and emotion, like I'm playing against the wind. And that makes me want to play harder. It's been a long time since I've found someone who can get me going like that." He smiled, more to himself in what he'd found than at me. "She doesn't have a passion for basketball per say, but whatever she does have is infectious whenever I'm facing off against her." I nodded. Haruka and Michiru did have a strange sort of magnetic personality. If you were able to get close and actually talk with them--something I was grateful for every day--they always seemed to brighten up any room they walked into. You couldn't help but take notice of them. Maybe it had something to do with those odd costumes they'd worn on Halloween. Maybe not. I wasn't about press the issue. Nicholas caught sight of the clock on my desk. "Damn. Looks like I have to retire to my dorm room and finish up a paper. Due tomorrow, only have five of ten pages completed thus far. You know the whole song and dance." "At least you have five pages," I answered. "You're probably five pages ahead of some of your classmates." "I don't doubt it," Nicholas agreed, getting up and heading for the door. "You interested in coming to the Second and Hopefully Annual Dorm Getaway Party?" I asked. Nicholas might have not been a computer geek like the rest of those already planning on going, but he was a pleasant enough guy to get along with. It never hurt to ask. "When is it?" Nicholas inquired, his interest piqued. "Um... we're not really sure," I admitted. "The day and time usually gets finalized a few days prior. But it will probably be during Spring Break." Nicholas winced and shook his head in apology. "Sorry, but no can do. Friday night I fly out to Boston to hang with my folks. I'd love to though... especially if I could take on Haruka in a beach volleyball match. Thanks for the offer, at least." I shrugged. Well, no one could say I didn't try to recruit people. "Incidentally," he added before he strolled out, "it's not Haruka I'm worried about accidentally offending. Michiru is the scary one." He was definitely smarter than he looked, I decided. ***** It was Michiru's first time venturing deeper than the lobby into the school's athletic center. Haruka asked her to come to the gym after class so that she could meet Nick. A helpful person at the front desk pointed Michiru in the right direction. Michiru found her partner engaged in a game when she entered the large gym. It was a game of one-on-one. "Hey, you're here already!" Haruka waved at Michiru with the hand that wasn't dribbling the basketball. Nicholas attempted to steal the ball while Haruka was distracted. She blocked him with her body and then gave him a disapproving look. "You can't blame me for trying," he said with an impish grin. Haruka smirked and picked up the ball, calling an abrupt end to their game. They walked over to where Michiru was waiting by the bleachers. Haruka made the introductions while Nick wiped his sweaty hands off on a towel before offering one to Michiru. "Thanks for letting Haruka come out to play with me," the playful grin never left his face. He obviously knew the nature of their relationship and enjoyed taking what pokes he could at the woman who frustrated him on the court. "You haven't sent her home battered and bruised yet, so it's okay," Michiru chuckled. Haruka sighed at their teasing of her. "And now it's time for me to go home. I'll finish wiping the floor with you tomorrow." She passed the ball back to him and left with Michiru. "He's kind of cute, in a hapless sort of way," Michiru commented in Japanese as they walked out from the gym. "What do you think of him?" "I think," Haruka replied in the like, "that he makes for a very entertaining distraction." "Ara, just a distraction?" Not having any clue as to what they were talking about, Nick gave the basketball a couple testing bounces as he watched them go, smiling to himself. For a while now he was beginning to pick up on the fact that Haruka was holding something back in their matches. Couldn't figure out what, but it was something that definitely put her beyond his skills. He'd get his chance to play her for real soon enough. Spring Break was coming, and after that was the Intramural Sports Tournament. Then he'd be able to see just how good his 'rival' really was. ***** A letter from Tokyo was waiting for them in their mailbox when they arrived home, their address scrawled as neatly as possible by a child's hand. "A letter from Hotaru-chan," Haruka said, grinning as she inspected the surprisingly heavy envelope. She found a letter opener and cut open one of the sides. Not only did they receive a letter written by Hotaru, but also a large volume of photographs sent along with it. Haruka and Michiru spent the next few minutes sitting down on the couch, flipping through the pictures one by one. More often than not they'd stop and admire how cute Hotaru looked, or how adorable Minako was in her stroller. Michiru sighed a lot as they saw Setsuna, Hotaru and Minako touring the Tokyo Tower, playing in their private swimming pool, or dressing up in kimonos for a visit to the Fire River Temple. Haruka found herself smiling when they came to a section where all the Senshi were enjoying an afternoon at the café Makoto ran. It had only been a few months since they'd left Tokyo, but everyone seemed to look a little different, a little older. Of course, Setsuna never seemed to change no matter the day any photo was taken. Haruka's personal favorite was a photo of a toddler Minako sitting in an F-1 racing booth; the little blonde seemed to know exactly what to do, and was loving every moment of it. Haruka felt a pang of nostalgia as she recalled how often she and Minako used to duel on the F-1 arcade racers. "That was wonderful," Michiru said quietly as they set the last picture aside on the coffee table. "What does Hotaru's letter say?" "If you give me a moment, we can find out," Haruka said with a smirk. Michiru laid her head down on Haruka's lap and snuggled up close to her lover. "Read it aloud to me, please," she said, her eyes closing. "I want to picture Hotaru saying this." Unable to deny Michiru anything in life, Haruka stroked the long strands of Michiru's aqua-green hair and began to read. Ohayo, Haruka-papa, Michiru-mama! How are you two enjoying America? All those photos you sent last time were so cool to look at, especially the ones of Michiru-mama putting on that special performance at the college. I think I saw a couple of pictures with your new friend, Mame-chan (very strange name, ne?), trying to hide in the back- ground. She doesn't like getting her picture taken, does she? But I think she's pretty. And she can speak Japanese too? We put the best pictures up on the fridge, next to my drawing of you, me and Setsuna-mama going out for a picnic. I'm doing okay here with Setsuna-mama, but I really miss both of you. Setsuna-mama has been teaching me a lot, and I'm doing good at all my studies. Except for math. I still don't see when I'm ever going to use quadratic functions for simplifying advanced derivative equations. But Setsuna-mama insists, so I'm trying to do better for my next test. I'm also reading a new book too. You'll be so proud, I finished Dante Aleghiri's Divine Comedy last week! There's a new manga out by Naoko Takeuchi too, something called 'PQ Angels' Setsuna-mama bought it for me yesterday as a reward for finishing Dante. It's also fun having a little sister. Minako-chan looks so kawaii all the time, and Setsuna-mama even lets me hold her! I wonder if she has a lot of her old memories, like I do. We'll be taking Minako-chan out to the zoo in a few days, so I'll be sure to have Setsuna-mama take pictures for you. Usagi and the others are doing well too. She's taking classes at Tokyo University with Ami, while Mamoru-san is starting his hospital internship next month. Makoto's café is doing really good, you'll be happy to know. She even got a great review in the newspaper! Rei has taken over managing the Fire River Temple, and we all go over to visit her at least once a month. She really likes to play with Minako-chan. And she always keeps looking at Yuichiro funny, like the way you and Michiru-mama look whenever you two think I'm not looking and sneak a kiss. How do you like the photos? My favorite is the one of me in the red and black scarf on the Tokyo Tower. And also the one of Minako-chan and me eating ice cream. You should see her, Haruka-papa! She's really walking around now and loves it when we take her out to play with Usagi and the others. She also seems to love karaoke machines. Setsuna-mama is bracing herself for when Minako learns to say 'No'. Maybe you can sleep with the pictures of us by your bed, or even underneath your pillow. That way it'll be like I'm really there. Ne, Haruka-papa, do you still sleep with that big teddy bear whenever Michiru-mama has to stay late for classes? I always thought you looked cute cuddled up with it (even if you always tell me that 'cute' is not a proper word to describe you). All those different dresses I'm wearing were made by Setsuna- mama. She says I pose so well for them, I could be a model one day if I wanted to. I don't really think I'd want to be, though. Setsuna-mama has also promised that when you both come back to Tokyo for the summer, we can spend another week in the Caribbean, and I can snorkel while you and Setsuna-mama look for more shipwrecks with buried treasure. Ne, Haruka-papa, do you think that when you and Michiru-mama come back for Spring Break, you can let me pick stocks for you again? That was so fun! I'm sorry none of them panned out last time though. I really do miss you. Come back soon! Love, Hotaru-chan. P.S.: gomen ne, Michiru-mama, but Setsuna-mama was doing cleaning last week, and she threw out those water wings in your closet. Finished, Haruka gently set the letter down on the coffee table next to the photographs, and continued stroking Michiru's hair for the remainder of the hour. Content and safe in her lover's arms, Michiru drifted off to sleep. Haruka's gaze drifted back to the pictures. "Soon enough, Hime-chan," she said quietly. "We'll be there soon." ***** Haruka stared at herself in the mirror of their master bathroom. She was wearing a white nightgown that flowed down by her ankles. Behind her and through the open doorway, the bedroom was dark and quiet. Michiru had already slipped between the sheets and was curled up, waiting for her. Haruka opted to linger in front of the mirror for a few moments longer. Her mind kept thinking over what she and Michiru had talked about in the gym, and then later during their drive home. It had been about six months now since they'd come here to America, leaving behind their friends and family back in Tokyo. These last six months had certainly been eventful, in both good ways and bad. Yet through it all she and Michiru had held on together like always. Haruka's eyes drifted over the curves of her body, and on impulse she combed her fingers through her hair. Not so long ago she had realized that while she and Michiru were walking through this together, for the first time in a long time it was only the two of them. Setsuna wasn't around to sit with them for coffee or tea, and she missed the sounds of Hotaru running through the house. Even though they didn't see Usagi and the others on a regular basis, now they didn't see those girls at all. Haruka sighed and shook her head. She would tell Michiru soon enough. Soon but not quite yet. It was true that playing basketball against Nicholas was just a distraction, something to keep her mind off the fact that she was really missing Tokyo and everyone else. With Spring Break coming closer and closer still, Haruka found herself increasingly anxious. Having to wait for the chance to fly back to Tokyo and visit with everyone for a week was affecting her more than she thought it would. "Are you coming to bed, love?" came Michiru's soft voice from the dimness of their bedroom. Haruka smiled and turned away from her reflection. "Hai," she answered, turning off the bathroom light as she glided out the doorway. In a sense, playing against Nicholas felt like she was playing with a little brother. And while it made her feel the pangs of loneliness at missing the family she had in Tokyo, it reminded her of the small but caring family she had here. That alone made their time here worthwhile and memorable. No matter where she and Michiru went, there would always be family and friends--even if they were peculiar, harmless rivals or quirky little Mame-chans. ********** End part 20 ********** Long time, no fic! We're onto the home stretch now. Having Minako as a child is in reference to Tim Nolan's excellent stories (with College Life based off of his timeline for the most part). I have most of his stories uploaded here if you want to check them out: http://gbeans.tyrlen.org/homepage/fanfic.html A number of jokes mentioned in Hotaru's letter are actually from my Sailormoon (Mis)Conceptions Q&A section on my webpage. You can find the real story behind it all at: http://gbeans.tyrlen.org/homepage/miscon.html