FROM THE AUTHOR OF 'SAILORMOON: COLLEGE LIFE' "How are you? My name's Xu. I'll be your roommate until one of us graduates or they decide that we cause too much trouble together," she winked with a broad grin on her face. Quistis stopped resisting, enchanted by the prospect of having some fun (which trouble was often the result of, but she could enjoy it before they were caught). "I'm Quistis Trepe," she introduced shyly. Her shoes suddenly became much more interesting than they ought to be as she studied the ground. Xu stepped forward, bending down on one knee so that they were on a more eye-to-eye level. "Quistis is it? That's a lovely name. I'm sure you'll make it one to be remembered by the time you're a SeeD," she smiled. IN A WORLD WHERE FANTASY IS THE REALITY "So," rumbled a voice. "You are here to challenge me, are you?" The flames crackling atop the surface of the molten lake burned even fiercer than before, doubling in numbers. The intense shudders of the Fire Cavern continued as the lava started to bubble violently. The lake swelled, pouring down in blurry cascades of liquid inferno. Steam flooded the area, driving the SeeD cadets further from the edge. And then out from beneath the surface of the fiery lake emerged Ifrit. Ifrit looked every bit an infernal demon. Its immense body resembled something out of a horror story: tall and muscular, long talons twitching on each hand, with a sloping head that resembled a dragon. A pair of horns corkscrewed out from the back of Ifrit's crimson head. Quistis felt her throat go dry as she tilted her head up and up and then up again, gaping in newfound terror at the sheer size of the Guardian Force. How could she possibly be expected to defeat something this monstrously huge with her tiny chain whip?! AT A SCHOOL WHERE MAGIC IS AS COMMONPLACE AS SCIENCE With all of the will that had seen her through her years at Garden, Xu gathered the energy inside herself and concentrated on directing that energy at her foe. The energy collapsed inward, pulling more of itself toward the growing explosion like a black hole of power. And when it reached its critical mass it burst through her entire self, permeating her body and soul as she cried words that were released from the depths of her consciousness. "PEARL OF HEAVEN!" The internal energy embodied as an iridescent white shell around Xu lifted her half a meter off the ground. From within that pearl of force a thundering shockwave of blue fire erupted toward the unwitting Grat. The creature was surrounded and crushed by the tidal wave of power. When the energy faded and Xu's feet touched the ground once more, she saw that the monster had been utterly devastated. THOSE WHO HAVE NO PAST SHALL BECOME THE GUARDIANS OF THE FUTURE "Children aren't allowed in the training room," he warned. Xu paused to look around her. There weren't any children here that she could see. "I'll keep that in mind, thanks," she took hold of her toes as she slowly stretched the muscles of her calves. "I'm talking about you, Anshin," he spat the name out as though it were a curse. She slowly drew herself upright from her stretched position. "Is there a problem we need to discuss?" "There's no place at Galbadia Garden for an Anshin weakling. You people are the exact opposite of what we want to be. Take your monster loving way and get the hell out of here!" He growled through gritted teeth. Every eye in the room was on them. BEFORE THERE WAS A THREAT, THEY WERE THE ONLY SOLUTION.... Enju abruptly broke into one of the most sadistic grins Kei had ever seen him use. He looked every part the feared killer he had once been reputed as. "You've had your fun, Kei," he stated, stretching out his hands. Kei was immediately on the defensive as she felt him gathering power. Whether or not he was realizing it, he was summoning his Spirit powers. His eyes widened in unbridled fry, and Kei stepped back as the Guardian Force Diablos exploded from a black cloud of dark energy that formed above Enju's body. Given the strength Diablos had, it was obvious those two were perfectly aligned. She'd never seen Diablos behave this way with anyone before. "Permit me to introduce to you a close friend I've had for years," he snarled, still working on drawing out as much energy from himself as he could. If there was ever a human expression to match the snarl on Diablos' face, Enju was mirroring it perfectly. BEFORE THEY WERE MERCENARIES, THEY WERE CADETS.... "Magic?" Quistis squeaked with surprise. "Yes, magic," Xu continued fiddling with the pouch on her belt. "Aren't I too young to be learning it?" "Now you're going to let your age dictate what you can learn?" Xu asked in turn. "You turned eleven not long ago and have enough sense in your head to act responsibly." BEFORE THEY WERE SeeD, THEY WERE CHILDREN.... "What are you doing?!" Quistis lunged forward and put herself between the dark haired boy and the blonde. "Git outta the way, Trepe, we're having a private conversation," the blonde growled. "I don't know who you are, but what you're doing isn't right. I demand that you back off or I'll turn you into the Faculty," she kept the other boy covered from further harm. "Ha! You've been saved by a girl, Squall. What a pansy," the blonde haired boy pushed his fingers through his shortcut hair and walked away. "You shouldn't have interfered. Seifer would hit you too if he wanted," Squall stood up slowly. He didn't seem to be in too bad of shape. "I don't care what this Seifer character does. Beating up on a classmate isn't right," Quistis said vehemently. Squall bent over to help her pick up her scattered book. They walked together to Quistis' room. She invited him in if he wanted, but he declined. "If you know what's best for you, you'll stay out of the way," he shoved his hands into his pockets and left. SOWING THE SeeDs Headmaster Cid dug his chin into his chest as he considered the answer. "Your loyalties must first be to yourself, for that is the easiest person to betray. Stay true to yourself while maintaining the allegiances you have made. Next, is loyalty to your team. You are Several bound into One, any breaks in trust among you effectively shatters the One," he held up the appropriate number of fingers as he spoke. "Loyalty to your home Garden is third on the list. This is the place that has raised you and is your home," he spread his arms out to encompass the entire facility. "SeeD as an organization is your final loyalty. And when I say final, I do not mean that it is last, for these four loyalties must be maintained in harmony with one other." TRAINING BEGINS APRIL 15, 2001.